Saturday, July 10, 2010

Aunt Carole's Blueberry Pie

Thursday we met Richard and picked up 40lbs. of fresh blueberries to be split between ourselves, mom, and Cara. Similar to our strawberry adventure in June (although only 20lbs), we now have lots and lots of blueberries. Which only means one thing. Time to bake pie! Justin and I both love dessert in general, although he is more of the pie-guy and I'm the eat-anything-that-resembles-chocolate gal. (So yes, I do love a good chocolate pie!) Anyway, I do love my mom's blueberry pie. When I asked her for the recipe, I actually learned that it was my Aunt Carole's recipe, which comes at no suprise. I have so many fond memories of my Aunt Carole, even though I was so young when my time was spent with her. I remember telling her that she was my second favorite person in the whole world, after mom of course. There is even a certain scent that, to this day, I still associate with her: the shrub in front of their brick house by the front steps. In fact, it had been years since I smelled that certain shrub. Then, on a tour at Hood, there it was, right outside of Smith Hall. It brought back lots of memories and while I may only catch a scent of it once or twice a year, it always brings a smile to my face as I think of her.

Well, two pies are made and I can't wait to have some tonight and to take some with us tomorrow when we visit Charis & Tim. Would it be appropriate to say that this recipe is as easy as pie? :)

Aunt Carole's Blueberry Pie

Ingredients:
Homemade or Frozen Pie Shell, baked
4 c. blueberries washed and drained
1/2 c. water
1 c. sugar
3 T corn starch
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 T butter

Directions:
Bake pie shell according to directions and let cool. Place 2 cups of blueberries in pie shell. On stove, mix together remaining blueberries, water, sugar and corn starch. Cook on medium-high until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add cinnamon and butter, stirring. Let cool. Pour over blueberries and refrigerate.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment